Monday 11 January 2016

Conclusion

Since starting the course 4 years ago this lecture series has been my most challenging but most insightful series yet, to which I’m hoping will encourage me to read more meaning pieces of literature. There appears to be a consistent thread throughout the various texts in that the value of the architect is always under scrutiny, whether it be from oneself or by the capitalist driven society that we have practiced in for the majority of time. I feel that the story of Faust resonates through the majority of texts at different stages. It is clear that you have to make tough choices in life and it is impossible to satisfy all quarters, do you torment and oppress yourself for the better of others and the greater good or remain selfish, ride the wave of capitalism and go against everything that architecture should stand for? When questioning this notion it's amusing to think that the end result can sometimes equate to the same thing, as seen in the three stories by Dos Passos. Although the overall narrative that is the spine of the discussions may be perceived as slightly depressing in truth, it has in fact reassured me with some of the thoughts and feelings I have had over recent times about the profession. More than once I have questioned my position within architecture even to the point as to whether I want a position within it at all. I have often thought that I have entered this discipline during the wrong time in history, but in fact, it's always been a head fuck. I’m in the right place. I hope that 100 years from now there’s a group of politically stubborn naive bunch of aspiring architects critically reading our time, I guarantee they’ll think it's all over for them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment